Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Your least favorite thing


I am not an Old Testament guy....at all. I mean, as a Christian I understand its importance in the grand scheme of salvation history. As a Biblical Studies major, I realize its significance both on its own and as a precursor and illuminator of the NT, as well as valuable for historical Jesus research, etc. However, I do not enjoy Hebrew. I don't enjoy trying to remember Old Testament chronology. I don't enjoy trying to pronounce those crazy names (Maher-shalal-hash-baz anyone?). I'm not particularly interested in rabbinic literature. And whereas I'm thrilled (for whatever reason) with NT Textual and Source Criticism, the idea of doing OT textual criticism bores me to tears!


Now, I'm not saying this to down people who are involved in OT studies primarily (although you are an odd bunch. Everyone knows NT studies is where it's at). That was a confession before a question. What is your least favorite aspect of Biblical Studies? I am not asking what you think is the least important (I realize how important all of the above stuff is and I read it because it is important, I just don't enjoy it), but I am asking you what you loathe...what do you dread doing despite the fact that it's necessary?

2 comments:

Scott Bailey said...

Trust me I am egalitarian, even though this comment might make some think otherwise, but I can't STAND reading Feminist theology.

Not saying they don't have some valid points or that it is bad, but after awhile I often find myself wishing a pack of rabid wolves would break into the room and take me out of my misery.

Josh McManaway said...

Well, Scott, apparently you and I are the only ones who don't enjoy every aspect of Biblical studies. Cheers.