Monday, September 24, 2007

A blog in limbo...

One thing I don't want this blog to turn into is an apologetics blog for the Catholic Church. For one, there are plenty of websites out there that fulfill that function. Secondly, I'm not interested in apologetics, I'm interested in history, interpretation of texts, languages, etc.

However, a lot of what I'm reading right now for my classes is naturally very Catholic. We're reading "The Mystery of Jesus Christ" right now in my Theology of Christ class, which is written by three Catholic theologians (a systematic guy, a historical theology guy, and a Biblical studies guy....a smart way to write a book, if you ask me). I don't want Catholicism to alienate my Protestant readers...but there are definitely different hermeneutics at work at times. For instance, I have a real appreciation for typological interpretation. I think it's really interesting, but I realize that a lot of people don't really care much for it.

So, the lack of posting is due to the fact that I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate all the best from both worlds. Expect some real theological breakthroughs here. It's going to be amazing.

2 comments:

Bryan L said...

Didn't the Catholic church recently do away with limbo?

Anyway I hope your move to the Catholic church is working out well. I've often toyed with the idea but I think I'm too protestant to be able to get over Marianism and the praying to the Saints (even if they are just relaying the message).

I'm actually reading through the Catechism right now and it is a great read.

Blessings,
Bryan L

Patrick G. McCullough said...

Sorry for the delayed reaction, but I just want to tell you that I look forward to your thoughts on interpretation from a Catholic perspective. The more perspectives the merrier!