Saturday, July 7, 2007

New Books!!!

I got some new books that I bought myself for my birthday in the mail today! I do love books.

The two that arrived today are:

Jesus in Context: Background readings for Gospel Study by Darrell L. Bock and Gregory J. Herrick

Studying the Historical Jesus: A Guide to Sources and Methods Darrell L. Bock


Now, I really like Dr. Bock's work. I got to meet him at the Last Twelve Verses in Mark conference that Southeastern hosted and he was exceptionally nice, particularly considering the mob of people that were waiting in line to chat with him. I've read his book The Missing Gospels a few times and really enjoyed it.

The other books that I'm expecting to come in soon are:

E.P. Sanders Jesus and Judaism (I know, I repent a thousand times for not having read this yet!)

E.P. Sanders The Historical Figure of Jesus

Stanley Hauerwas The Peaceable Kingdom (If you don't like Hauerwas, well...we have a saying in Texas about you, and it goes something like *bleep*)

Karl Barth The Humanity of God

Karl Barth Evangelical Theology: An Introduction

I'm excited about reading Barth's books. I've read Dogmatics in Outline and a few books about him. I actually used to really dislike Barth, mistaking him (of course without reading him) for a "dirty liberal" (Yes, I used to be like that). Barth is one of my favorites now. One thing I dislike about a lot of modern theological writers is that I feel like they're trying to sell me something. They make wild oversimplifications of historical or theological matters, then overstate the implications of those oversimplifications. I like Barth because of how systematic he is, how he seems to account for all angles.

5 comments:

Michael Barber said...

Josh,

Just about everything Sanders writes is amazing. Really. I don't agree with him all the time but he clearly is a genius. I just recently finished the book he wrote on the Synoptic Gospels with Margaret Davies. His critique of the solutions offered to account for the "Synoptic Problem" should be a must-read for all students. It is shocking to me that he is not mentioned more frequently.

The other over-looked scholar is Ben F. Meyer. Meyer's book, The Aims of Jesus came out in 1979--long before Sanders' Jesus and Judaism. Meyer stresses restoration eschatology, paving the way for Sanders' book. Meyer was also the main person responsible for applying "critical realism" as Wright does.

If you haven't read Meyer, I highly recommend him. Wright has even written the forward of the reprint of his magnum opus.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Barth's "Evangelical Theology" and Hauerwas' "Peaceable Kingdom" at the moment. Both amazing in the own ways (books and men).

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

I just took a final exam in Church history and my short essay was on how Barth brought about the most influential theological turning point in the twentieth century. Wish I had time to read like that; I'm studying Hebrew right now; 1 full year squashed into 7 weeks! It's crazy intense.

www.michaelhalcomb.blogspot.com

Josh McManaway said...

Mike - Taking two summer classes and working currently. How do I find time to read? Give up sleep! I sleep about 3-4 hours a night to make time to study.

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

Josh,
I feel ya. I'm a full-time minister/preacher and am taking 3 courses this summer. I'm taking Hebrew right now and through Aug. It is 1 year of Hebrew smashed into about 7 weeks. It's insane. Still, I can't find time to joy read; wish I could; maybe when the baby gets here in a couple of weeks and wakes me up a lot, that's what I'll be doing while I rock her back to sleep. Anyways, enjoy!

www.michaelhalcomb.blogspot.com